Thursday, 11 July 2013

Ramadhan Series #1


Yesterday was the first day of Ramadhan and Alhamdulillah 19.5 hours of fasting is accomplished. Is it me or do you also feel like fasting during Ramadhan makes you less hungry than fasting in other months? People might find it bizarre but personally I found that fasting for such a long hours is not as bad as people might think. I thought the first few days was supposed to be the hardest but not today or yesterday. Perhaps it was the Chia seeds working its magic. I did not feel even the slightest bit hungry. You should try it too!! It doesn't hurt to just try. If you want to know more about it, I have discussed about it in more details here.
 
In this post, I simply would like to stress that, it's all about quality over quantity. Choose something that has more body to it like brown rice, dates, chia seeds, oatmeal, beans or blueberries. I think they make such a good meal for sahur and also for breaking your fast. I have also started the breaking of my fast with lentil soup yesterday and it is so filling and I found that it gave me a feeling of satiation. It is also a good way to eat a lot of vegetables in one sitting too because you put what ever vegetables into your soup and blend them all togeher. I also put carrots, sweet potato, apple and lentils in my soup.
 
Since it's summertime and the hours for fasting is the longest its ever been, thirst is inevitable. Plus, the time we get to eat and drink is very limited too. So, what I normally do is I always drink a jug of water after breaking my fast but before my bedtime. So then when sahur time comes I simply drink a normal amount of water. I find that I did not feel so parched throughout the day.

Perhaps, it helps to have a meal planner this Ramdhan. If it helps you then I am telling you what I ate for breaking my fast:

- Lentil soup

- Brown rice+white rice with Chicken Kurma

- French bean sauteed with coconut milk and shrimp

And of course some dates on the side and juice.


So, let's sum everything up:
- Try Chia seeds. I found it is best in drinks and consumed during Sahur
- Eat lots of beans and pulses. they are great for starter e.g. lentil soup, hummus or as a side vegetable dish.
-Drink lots of water between the time of breaking fast and Sahur
-Quality over quantity
-


 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.